Saturday, January 26, 2008

Raphael, the Messenger


God is always on duty. He's always on the ball to meet our needs and desires.
One day I had taken a basket of food and a plant to the family of my good friend and prayer partner Cathi whose step father had died. It really was a cute basket and I knew it would please Cathi and her family and add my love to the sad occasion.
During the next week I was a little concerned about my youngest son who was traveling in Europe and the Middle East on business. For some reason I had a gnawing feeling in my gut about his trip, not fearful, just concern. I had prayed regularly about his safe return to his family many times a day during the week, just like I always do when someone in the family is traveling.
When I got Cathi's grateful note in the mail thanking me for the basket of goodies I had taken to her, I immediately noticed that it was written on note paper which had a familiar picture of two angels on the front. After I read her gracious note of thanks, I turned the note over to see if the name of the artist of the familiar painting was written on the back.
"Hallelujah," I immediately exclaimed, being flooded with peace about my son when I looked at the name of the artist. The name was Raphael, a name that meant a great deal to me. Twenty-eight years ago when my son entered the Navy I was distressed about his safety in the military. God had directed me to an unusual book called Tobit, found in the Apocrapha, which I had found in an old Roman Catholic translation of the Bible. Raphael was the name of the angel God had sent to protect the son of Tobit when his son was traveling to foreign lands. When I read the book I became confident that God was going to also protect my son while he was in the Navy, which he did.
In the incident involving the card I was again infused with peace about my son's trip to Europe and the Middle East, another reminder that the angel Raphael was still on duty to protect my son on his journeys, just like He always had. My son called that night from Israel, relating that he was safe and was being treated like a dignitary. Of course Raphael would arrange that, too.
In relaying this story to Cathi about the faith and peace I had received from the note, I heard her side of the story. She said that she was writing many thank you notes on other note paper but had a desire to search to see if she still had the paper with the picture of angels when she wrote to me. Sure enough, she had one note left, so she wrote her note of gratitude to me on the anointed paper. She certainly didn't know that she was participating with God in giving me peace relating to the safe return of my son.
Now I'm the one sending words of gratitude, both to God for His gift of peace and to Cathi for obeying the urge to use the special paper for a special message to me from God.
Journeying with God is a ball!

No comments: